The Veterinary Defence Society wishes to appoint an experienced, primarily companion animal veterinary surgeon to work in support of the Claims Group as a Claims Adviser.
The work entails dealing with requests for advice on a wide range of veterinary related issues and assisting members facing enquiries into their professional conduct.
Applicants will require a wide-ranging knowledge of veterinary practice in order to handle requests and provide appropriate advice aimed at avoiding:
- Civil Claims for damages
- Criminal acts arising out of veterinary work
- Complaints developing into allegations of Professional Misconduct.
Providing immediate advice to members by telephone is an important aspect of the work performed by the VDS Claims Group. Working part-time, two days a week, the additional Adviser will be expected to be widely read and capable of performing a rapid analysis of essential facts before formulating their responses either verbally or in writing. The successful candidate will be expected to work from home but will be required to attend occasional meetings in Knutsford. Duties will be arranged on a rota with the established team, covering weekdays, Monday to Friday. In addition, you will be expected to read a selection of each week’s advice in order to ensure the quality and consistency of the advice given, more intensively so during the training period.
A successful applicant must:
- be an MRCVS with extensive experience in clinical practice
- be accustomed to working easily within a team
- should possess excellent verbal and written communication skills
- be familiar with contemporary electronic communication techniques
- have a well-developed capacity to network with professional colleagues
- be able to adopt a flexible approach
Interviews will be held at Knutsford.
Closing date: Friday 15 June 2018.