The Veterinary Defence Society is a niche mutual insurance company specialising in providing professional indemnity insurance for the veterinary profession. The VDS is embarking on a significant period of change and development as it implements its strategic plan to consolidate its current strong position within the profession and develop other products, services and membership benefits.
In order to support the VDS, it requires a part-time HR Manager (25 hours per week Monday – Friday) to manage, lead and provide Human Resource support at all levels within the Society which ensures that managers and employees are equipped with best practice to foster a high performance culture to support its strategic plan.
- Manage complex employee relations casework including but not limited to recruitment, dispute resolutions, disciplinaries, grievances, absence, retirement and redundancy
- Apply HR and business knowledge evidencing appropriate decision making skills
- Provide HR related data providing evidence and insight
- Advise managers on the terms and conditions of employment and knowledge share best practice with them
- Develop HR policy and procedures to drive performance and mitigate disputes
- Implement and sustain a learning and development environment
- Provide first line advice on current and existing benefits for employees and managers
- Administer payroll and payroll records and keep accounts appraised of any changes
- Administer Society benefits and associated providers
- Work with appropriate parties on employee benefits
- Provide advice on recruitment and selection and support the recruitment process including reviewing/writing job descriptions and preparing interview questions and testing etc.
- Manage the process of new starter inductions
- Oversee performance management and succession planning
- Drive alignment between HR strategy and business goals
- Continuously monitor and review HR policies and processes and implement changes where necessary
- Participate in the implementation of specific projects, procedures and guidelines to help align the workforce with the strategic goals of the organisation
- Support change management processes
- Liaise with and manage the third party relationships relevant to the VDS premises
- Provide a safe working environment for all staff and manage all health & safety related requirements of VDS
- Experience of working in a generalist HR environment
- Practical experience of advising on HR matters and of participating in procedural meetings
- Also able to prove experience of: handling a wide range of enquiries; Management of HR records and administration; administrating payroll and associated payroll/benefit enquiries
- CIPD qualified or demonstrated HR experience
- Proficient in MS Office
- Health & Safety experience in an Office environment
- Awareness of working with Third Party contracts
- Knowledge of current employment legislation
- Knowledge of best practice in specific HR areas including but not limited to recruitment and selection, absence management, capability, disciplinary and grievance, etc.
- Knowledge of good line management practice
- Sound IT proficiency and experience of using IT in an HR context
- Knowledge of Health & Safety practices
- Proficient in MS Office applications
- Outstanding communication and interpersonal skills
- The ability to work well in teams
- Ability to work on own initiative and prioritising individual workload
- A desire to help others work towards targets
Interviews will be held at Knutsford.
All job offers are subject to satisfactory basic DBS checks and credit checks.
To apply for this role, please send your CV and a covering letter to:
The Veterinary Defence Society Ltd
4 Haig Court, Parkgate Estate,
Tel: +44 (0) 1565 652737
Closing date: 19 September 2018