What is The Veterinary Nurse Leadership Programme (VNLP)?
The VNLP consists of 2 two-day workshops, with personal performance coaching and workplace support both between and after the workshops.
We aim to create confident, dynamic and flexible leaders within the veterinary profession who can motivate and drive their own careers, teams and practices to success. The leadership skills you’ll learn will enable you to create a culture that strengthens and develops your practice’s veterinary team and that enables team members to fulfil their potential.
The VNLP is designed to help you deal with the challenges you face in practice day to day. Beginning with self-awareness and a thorough understanding of your personal strengths and weaknesses, the programme builds on this foundation, teaching strategies for resilience, communicating with others, motivating team members, and resolving conflict. Organisational leadership challenges are addressed, including the selection and scoping of quality improvement projects, their management and sustainment and the development of a just and learning organisational culture.
Who is this course for?
The VNLP is suitable for any veterinary nurse professional in a leadership role such as practice managers, head nurses, partners, nurse branch managers and team leaders. The programme has been developed as a unique learning experience, specifically designed to enable you to embed and reinforce your learning through practical projects which will make a difference in your organisation.
We recognise that people learn best by doing, and the programme is designed to facilitate this, through the use of evidence based tools and strategies. We employ a combination of online teaching, face-to-face learning, personal coaching and mentoring, reflective practice and self-selected project work to provide a holistic and complete learning platform. You’ll also have the opportunity to interact with and learn from fellow delegates via an online community which will run for the duration of the course.
About the workshops
During the first workshop, you will:
- Complete your own DISC behavioural profile.
- Understand your strengths and identify your areas for development.
- Understand how to create a resilient and sustainable leadership style.
- Understand the keys to motivating, engaging and effective communication with others.
- Identify the key challenges to successful leadership and how to overcome them. You’ll look at dealing with poor performance, conflict and difficult situations, managing time, setting expectations and boundaries for effective work.
- Understand the essential role of culture
- Identify and scope a quality improvement project for your practice.
Inter Workshop Coaching
Over the following three months, you’ll receive three coaching sessions with a performance coach who will help and support you to implement the project you identified in the initial workshop. They will work with you as an individual to support you to implement your learning in the real world.
During the second workshop, you will:
- Recap on what has worked well and what hasn’t worked well.
- Identify areas of strength and weakness using SWOT analysis to move your projects forward
- Learn to use Practice Standards System requirements such as clinical audit, root cause analysis of significant events and RESPECT tools to engage teams and leverage success.
- Learn how to lead an effective team meeting, manage change and sustain initiatives
- Understand how to thrive in the current veterinary environment.
- Develop your project ideas and aspirations.
Post Workshop Coaching
After the workshop, you’ll receive two further coaching sessions with your performance coach, helping you to make and sustain the changes that are right for you and your team.